Tangerine Health Benefits
Tangerines are very tasty and refreshing fruits. They can be eaten alone or in combination with other fruits in salads. They are rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants and help improve health in several ways ...
Tangerines are very tasty and refreshing fruits. They can be eaten alone or in combination with other fruits in salads.
Tangerines fruit nutrition facts per 100g of fruits:
|Calories:||~3 kcal||~ 40 kcal||~ 3 kcal||-|
Calories in tangerine - there are around 45 kcal in 100g of tangerine, mostly from carbs (as usual for fruits in general, especially for citrus fruits). Depending on the variety and other factors, tangerines can have up to 80-100mg of vitamin C per 100g of fruits. This doesn't sound much, when compared with pomegranates (up to 1.5g of vitamin C per 100g of fruits) or with ordinary vitamin C tablets, but few fresh tangerines are more than enough to provide adult person with enough vitamin C for a day ... Not to mention that tangerines taste much better than tablets and pills :o)
Health Benefits of Tangerines
Some of the tangerines health benefits include:
- tangerines are rich in flavonoid antioxidants such as lutein, narigenin, zeaxanthin, hesperetin etc. These antioxidants fight free radicals to prevent various cancer types.
- tangerines are rich in vitamin C (powerful antioxidant). Vitamin C helps in wound healing and collagen synthesis and is a part of many metabolic processes in the body - it protects from cold, flu, relieve the symptoms of arthritis, heals the joints, fights neuro-degenerative diseases etc.
- tangerines are rich in dietary fiber that lowers the LDL cholesterol levels in the body and promote bowel movements and cure constipation.
- tangerines are also rich in carotenes and vitamin A - very beneficial for healthy and good vision, healthy skin, hair, nails etc.
- tangerines are also a good source of polyphenols, which are strong antioxidants for boosting immune system.
- even though tangerines and other citrus fruits have acidic flavor, they have alkaline effects when digested - this and similar fruits are great in alkalizing human body.
Since tangerines are relatively low in carbs, few smaller tangerines (around 150g of fruits - 15g of carbs) can and should be on menu, daily, even when on strict diet. Only if you are on Keto Diet, you should avoid tangerines on No Carb Days.