Celery Health Benefits
Celery is one of the relatively neglected herbs with numerous health benefits - it lowers blood pressure, it is loaded with numerous antioxidants, vitamins, some minerals. It helps fight various cancers and helps improve overall health in general.
Health Benefits of Celery
Celery can be consumed cooked or raw - preferably raw. Whole plant can be eaten in various forms - leaves can be chopped and used as 'dressing' for meat, fish and other similar meals; stalks/ribs can be used as great snacks, while root bulb can be used for making juices - actually for juicing, whole plant can be used.
Some of direct health benefits of celery and celery juice are:
- celery regulates body acidity: minerals found in celery help balance the body's blood pH, neutralizing acidity. Also, those minerals help in replacing lost electrolytes and rehydrates the body.
- celery helps kidney function: promotes normal kidney function by aiding in elimination of toxins from the body and preventing formation of kidney stones. Also, minerals like potassium and sodium help to regulate body fluids and stimulate urine production, helping in getting rid of the body's excess fluids.
- celery lowers blood pressure: drinking celery juice and/or consuming celery on regular basis help lower blood pressure. Compounds found in celery (phtalides) help relax the muscle around arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow normally. Some scientists recommend consuming celery on regular basis (daily), while some recommend consuming it for a week, then take two-three weeks off, then consume it for a week again. Since celery contains it's own 'pesticide' to protect itself from fungi, some people don't react very well on celery in higher quantities. Do yourself a favor and eat celery as you wish, don't forcefully eat anything ... Also, celery helps in lowering LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and improving LDL and HDL (good cholesterol) ratio.
- celery helps weight loss: eat celery or drink celery juice few times per day. It helps control cravings for sweets and similar foods and makes one feel fuller. Also, celery is one of the foods that burn fat - body practically needs more calories to digest celery than it can extract from celery. Nice. On the other hand, lowering calories to much is not healthy, either.
- celery helps fight cancer: celery is very rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, thus boosts immune system, blocks development, formation and growth of various cancers.
- celery promotes colon and stomach health: fibers found in celery promote health of digestive system and colon, not only by fighting colon cancers, but also by having slight natural laxative effect that helps to relieve constipation.
- celery and inflammation: compounds in celery are great relief for many inflammation problems like rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, osteoarthritis, etc. It is often used as natural remedy in many cultures and old nations.
There are many other health benefits that celery promotes and help with.
Reading this and similar articles, one may ask him/herself, why wouldn't we all just eat celery and be healthy and happy? Well, things don't work that way - key for health and well being is balance.
So, be sure to find some place for celery in your daily nutrition and you will really enjoy great tasting herb and it's full spectrum of benefits.
Great thing about celery is that it can, like parsley, be grown in small pots in kitchen (near to the window) or on similar spot. This way, you can always enjoy fresh, just picked, celery ...